I had a conversation with a co-worker yesterday regarding his wedding. He was just married on New Years Eve in a small intimate setting...nothing crazy. Finger foods, karaoke (a huge hobby for both the bride and groom). A pretty simple ceremony. He mentioned that his friend married them. I was kind of surprised by that comment. But, it seemed "right."
Afterwords, I started thinking about all of my friends and their inability to be legally married. Then, I started to imagine how fantastic if would be when gay marriage is finally legal. So many gay and lesbian couples out there. So many that have been together SO much longer than a good portion of the straight marriages seem to last. Then I remember my co-worker talking about his friend.
While I'm not a very religious person I do understand that ALL people have the right to believe what they want. People need to find comfort in something...that something is going to differ from person to person. Christianity, Judiasm, Islam, Wicca. Who are we to judge and decide. I believe in a higher power. But, I also believe that I have decided my life lessons with my higher power before I was born. I also believe in Karma. I also believe that our life on Earth is considered "Hell" and that we keep coming back to improve ourselves. Once we are done we "ascend" and go on to that "better place."
I thought to myself that eventually gay marriage will be legal. This world will finally stop being so shallow and closed minded. And, what a better way to celebrate that than being able to join these partners together. Even if it is a commitment ceremony. The fact that I'd help others to feel closer to each other, be there to help others, enrich people's lives, enrich my own life and be able to grow closer with my higher power seemed to great to pass up.
I became an ordained minister yesterday. Many will be totally offended. Why should I be ordained? I didn't go to seminary! It'll cheapen "faith." To those people...we'll have to agree to disagree. I can join couples that most religions would refuse. I can baptize. I can help people to feel closer to the God in which they believe...not the ones that organized religions demand. Most importantly...if and/or when gay marriage is legal...I will be able to help all of my friends by officiating their marriages. I can't imagine a greater feeling.
This was not a decision made for "shock value." I don't plan on parading around announcing my acceptance in to the ministry. Sorry...ain't my style. (this blog doesn't count as shouting it from the rafters...I probably have 3 followers tops.) But, knowing that I'm closer to my higher power, helping others feel closer to their higher power and just being there for others in a spiritual way helps me to feel like I'm making a difference.
Reverend Scott.
Strange and comforting all at the same time. =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment